[AusNOG] MTU Size on Ethernet carrier interconnects

McDonald Richards macca at vocus.com.au
Thu Feb 2 17:20:53 EST 2012

Of course some of us still have a few POS interfaces with 4470 byte
restrictions so while 9216 is great, it's pretty hard to promise it network
wide unless there is a specific requirement to migrate all services to
support it.

In my experience, permitting IP transit with larger than 1500 byte MTUs also
led to some strange jumbo frame issues where the customer has their own
switched network between their provider and themselves and they haven't
properly configured it to handle the larger frame sizes.

The path of least resistance was just to set "ip mtu 1500" as standard on
all customer-facing IP transit services, IP transit points and peering
points.

Macca