[AusNOG] ubiquitous peering

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Wed Dec 19 19:14:51 EST 2012

Hi John,

  The fact that most won't was more my point. The costs involved would
likely far outweigh the gain.

  CommunityNet was more referenced on the idea of the local peering.
implementation was irrelevant in my point, as the outcome was the same,
keeping the bandwidth within the 'exchange' and not filling up backhaul
pipes.

  With costs of $20/mbit, the point was not so much to be able to offer
it for 'free' but to save on backhaul costs from POI to next core
network point, but I am of the firm belief, as seem many, that you
wouldn't see 'that' much data staying local, to make the extra effort
worth it, but it would definitely be interesting to see in some of the
busier POI's.

Thanks,
Joe