[AusNOG] ubiquitous peering

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 19:05:04 EST 2012

Hi Joseph,

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Joseph Goldman <joe at apcs.com.au> wrote:
> The problem seems as you suggest, having full L3 gear at each POI, possible
> for some, not for others who would probably rather L2 link it straight back
> to a more central POP.

With 121 Points of Interconnect, you can be fairly sure that only
local single-POI RSP's are going to have L3 termination at the NBN
site. With $20/Mbit aggregation costs, it's also a fairly safe bet
that no-one is going to be offering "free" local peering either.

> However the idea has merit, I believe Adam Internet do a similar thing with
> their ADSL2+ Infrastructure in South Australia.

Communitynet was a hack, exploiting the connected-interface route on
home CPE to participate in a shared /22 network that was only a layer2
vlan on the local exchange. This VLAN was extended to a central server
that handed out per-vlan DHCP, but offered no routing or other
services. It was difficult for end users to understand, and hard to
get value from without effort!

John