[AusNOG] [SPAM] Re: Is CCTV a Necessity in a Data Centre?

Christopher Pollock chris at ionetworks.com.au
Mon Dec 3 15:34:18 EST 2012

Just as a sidenote, if we have all always had CCTV then we can't even look
at our experiences as relevant to say 'we never got any benefit from it'
since we can't measure what it prevented.  It'd be interesting to see what
things were like in an unmonitored DC.  I wonder how honest people would
stay if they saw a cable they needed in someone else's rack, sitting
unused.  I would feel very uncomfortable leaving my kit somewhere that
no-one could see it.

IMO CCTV is like a seatbelt or a bike helmet.  It will spend the vast
majority of its time doing nothing and that will lead some people to think
that you do not need it.

But when you need it, you *really* need it.  And I can think of at least a
few times when I've really needed it.

--
Christopher Pollock,
io Networks Pty Ltd.