[AusNOG] mobile phones coverages alternative

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Wed Aug 29 14:53:05 EST 2012

My thought would be a local (preferred) or hosted (if connectivity is
decent) VoIP server and a SIP client on each phone (assuming smartphones).

However, to *receive* calls, the phone will need to be set to call
forward to your VoIP server. From what I can think of, this will mean
putting up with 1 of either of these 3 issues:

     1) Users will have to turn call forwarding on and off each time
they come in/out.
     2) Users set call forward on no answer to VoIP server, instead of
Voicemail. If they want Voicemail at all then the VoIP server will need
to handle it full stop
     3) Call forward always set to on, and the clients register via 3G
chewing up 3G data with each call. Problem with this is, the Mobile
Service is charged for each call diverted on as an outgoing call, so
this could be costly when all added up.

  There may be scenario's or setup's I haven't considered. My personal
favorite would probably be number 2.

Thanks,
Joe