[AusNOG] Fwd: [luv-talk] Optus 3G charges while using wifi at home.

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 23:33:08 EST 2012

I've noticed an oddity whilst roaming in previous years - some older
handsets will still do keep alives or lookups of 10k (or less) over the 3G
network  at the min charge (€1) despite being connected to WiFi where the
bulk of the data was coming.

I found I had to either go to flight mode or pull the SIM to avoid the
bills mounting.

If the bills are substantial, I suggest the handset wasn't actually using
the Wifi as metering occurs at the SGSN - upstream. You don't believe
handsets when metering. The end user terminal is notoriously untrustworthy.

What's wrong here is:
- handsets not being properly configurable
- lousy instructions for handset configuration
- poor info from customer care
- poor billing and monitoring tools both on the handsets and SP side

Cheers

Narelle