[AusNOG] iCloud - Is it going to hurt access providers?

Bevan Slattery Bevan.Slattery at nextdc.com
Sun Sep 4 22:28:16 EST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Lincoln Dale [mailto:ltd at cisco.com]
Sent: Sunday, 4 September 2011 3:53 PM

1. it won't "smash" any 3G/4G networks as it only does a backup on WiFi.

Can't wait to get my hands on iCloud and give it a whirl.  I'm pretty sure Photostream uploads automatically across all devices (when enabled) and operates on 3G etc...  But you're right it appears the backup is on wifi at this stage so the initial rush shouldn't be too bad on 3G networks.

2. you have to EXPLICITLY ENABLE the backup and it tells you exactly how much data its going to transfer.  caveat emptor.  just as is the case today with mobile broadband & quotas.

Correct.  But the same logic means no-one complains to the TIO today because of mobile broadband and quotas? Good luck with that one :)  But you're right that if it sync's over wifi then the issues relating to 3G congestion would be much less.

[b]