[AusNOG] NBN Battery backups

Paul Brooks pbrooks at layer10.com.au
Wed Oct 12 13:57:01 EST 2011

On 12/10/2011 7:04 AM, Don Gould wrote:
> http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/?action=threads_search&f=142&q=battery
>
> Yes.  Every question that has been raised on this operational list in this topic has
> been well covered already on Whirlpool in the threads I linked above.
>
> To save you busy people reading the 600 posts on the issue:
>
> * From what we can tell the power monitoring features of the CybrePower [1] units,
> used in TAS, were not connected to the NEC ONTs, so can't be monitored.
> * The CybrePower units don't monitor battery condition to any sort of acceptable
> level, only total failure and low power(ish - as we all know what that means).
> * The CybrePower units used in TAS will not be the end solution anyway.

Precisely - these were the Tasmanian units - supplied by a different vendor to the
mainland units.

According to
http://www.nbnco.com.au/assets/documents/nfas-product-technical-specification-2.0.pdf,
page 81:

"The battery backup unit will contain the following LED indicators showing battery status:

  * Mains Power OK
  * Battery Status (OK, needs replacing, failed).
  * Running on battery backup (lit when mains power fails).
  * A series of beeps are also provided to indicate the above conditions.

*NBN Co's remote monitoring service will enable Access Seekers delivering services
through a UNI-V to identify when a NTU is not being supplied with power."

*An RSP using the PSTN port should receive a network alarm from NBN Co's OSS when the
NTU loses power. Yet to see if the OSS can send through battery health information
*before* it loses power.

P.