[AusNOG] Cessnock Exchange

Jeremy Visser jeremy at visser.name
Wed Nov 16 08:32:56 EST 2011

On 15/11/2011, at 14:33, Keith Anderson wrote:
> One customer went to the local member and to cut a long story short -
> ended up with the Telstra Retail lady suggesting a migration to ADSL2+
> with BigPond to overcome the problem.

As a tech support guy at an ISP that sells TW-based DSL services (i.e. in the same boat as most ISPs out there), this is what always leaves me speechless.

Literally speechless. I'll be dealing either with a congestion problem or a no ports issue (often a customer wants to upgrade from ADSL1 to ADSL2+ but are knocked back due to "lack of ports"), and inevitably I get asked the question "this wouldn't be happening if I were with BigPond, would it?"

In some cases I have contacted customers after they have jumped ship to BigPond, and indeed they had their problem solved that I found impossible to fix via the TW channels (either provisioning or faults).

This is why I get left speechless -- it's a moral dilemma. On the one hand, you have Telstra doing something quite likely illegal and morally reprehensible. On the other hand I must accept the status quo (evil telco is evil), and because I can't lie to my customers, I can't exactly disagree with them.

I'm such a little fish in a big sea, I don't feel like I have the power to be the change I want to see in the world.