[AusNOG] Alternative to NBN?

Paul Brooks pbrooks at layer10.com.au
Sun May 22 15:49:55 EST 2011

David Napier <david at khetanna.com> wrote:

> Turnbull et al claim that the DOCSIS3 deployments on Optus and Telstra > HFC cables are already delivering 100 Mbps to the home, and so are > delivering NBN-compatible services already past 2.something million > homes. Again, they ignore the upstream - the 100Mbps HFC cable > services are 100/2 - only 1.5 to 2 Mbps upstream, not 40 Mbps upstream > that the NBN fibre 100/40 product delivers, and HFC is also not > QoS-enabled or IPv6-enabled either - or available wholesale. (a) On an un-congested node average upstream utilisation is < 20Kb/sec (ie. users can push more but don't). So what's the business case for increasing this today (it can be done simply when needed)? (b) DOCSIS 1.1 provides QoS. All major DOCSIS networks in ANZ are QOS enabled. (c) D3 supports v6 - I'm sure MMC can quote the MSOs supporting v6 just as well as I could. v6 is not deployed on HFC in ANZ for the same reason as any other access - who will pay for the change request and updating of usage collection systems?

A) comparing average demand across hundreds or thousands with instantaneous demand of individual services is stupid.The average person has one tit and one testicle - yet not one person matches the average. Video conferencing and other high outbound uses (photo galleries etc) need much more symmetry than we have now - 100/2 does not cut it.

B) the technology may support it, but the products do not. Show me the DIFFSERV schema for user-generated traffic streams on any DOCSIS network in this or any other country.

C) ditto for ip6. Capability is one thing but operating productis another. Can't see open-access wholesale ipv6 available from multiple RSPs over HFC technology this decade - happy for you to think differently
--
Sent from my phone so please excuse my brevity and fat-finger typos.