[AusNOG] Alternative to NBN?

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Sun May 22 09:15:29 EST 2011

On Sat, 21 May 2011 19:49:18 +1000
David N <ausnog at khetanna.com> wrote:

> > Turnbull et al claim that the DOCSIS3 deployments on Optus and Telstra
> > HFC cables are already delivering 100 Mbps to the home, and so are
> > delivering NBN-compatible services already past 2.something million
> > homes. Again, they ignore the upstream - the 100Mbps HFC cable
> > services are 100/2 - only 1.5 to 2 Mbps upstream, not 40 Mbps upstream
> > that the NBN fibre 100/40 product delivers, and HFC is also not
> > QoS-enabled or IPv6-enabled either - or available wholesale.
>

> (a) On an un-congested node average upstream utilisation is < 20Kb/sec
> (ie. users can push more but don't). So what's the business case for
> increasing this today (it can be done simply when needed)?

You're missing the difference between average utilisation over a month
and verses the peak load a customer "wants" to generate. I put "wants"
in quotes because the peak load the customer can and will generate,
when using TCP, is as much bandwidth as there is available. TCP aims to
use as much network capacity as is currently available - which makes
sense. If the network is 100% empty, why not try to use 100% of it's
capacity; if the network is 50% empty, etc.?

So if you change the upstream from 2 Mbps to 5 Mbps, they'll be able
use it, with the result that their uploads will take less time for the
same sized upload. If the customer stays on the same quota post upgrade
(and uses the same amount of it), their average utilisation won't
change.

> (b) DOCSIS 1.1 provides QoS. All major DOCSIS networks in ANZ are QOS
> enabled.
>
> (c) D3 supports v6 - I'm sure MMC can quote the MSOs supporting v6 just
> as well as I could. v6 is not deployed on HFC in ANZ for the same reason
> as any other access - who will pay for the change request and updating
> of usage collection systems?

It'd be interesting to apply that sort of mentality to any of the
business insurance these organisations have purchased.