[AusNOG] Alternative to NBN?

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Mon May 16 08:25:02 EST 2011

I seem to recall Tasmania running a broadband over power line trial a little while ago (pre-NBN).

Apart from the ham radio operators objecting vehemently to it (with some justification apparently) does anyone have info on the outcomes from this trial ? I'm guessing that it wasn't that successful as nothing has come of it.

Is there anywhere in the world where broadband over power lines is being widely used or is it another one of those "seems like a good idea until you try it" things ?

Thanks,
Tony.