[AusNOG] Microsoft buys Skype

Stephen Gillies max at 3rdbasenetworks.net.au
Wed May 11 09:08:05 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 08:43 +1000, Julian DeMarchi wrote:
> On 05/11/2011 07:44 AM, Mark
> > Closed document formats is bad enough, now you won't be
> > able to call people if you don't want to or can't run skype. I think
> > it'll be very unlikely that Microsoft will open the skype protocol for
> > interoperability purposes.
>
> Wonder if this will kill the Linux client for skype?

Ballmer has said no, but I find it difficult to see how Skype
development for more widely used directly Microsoft impacting platforms
like the iPhone will continue.

I am looking forward to a Microsoft enhanced Skype Manager environment,
with possible connectivity between Skype and the Microsoft Unified
Communications and the Xbox environments. Further, Microsoft appear to
be nudging the AppleTV/GoogleTV market with some recent hires in the US.

http://www.slashgear.com/microsoft-tv-project-gets-new-hardware-expert-boss-24142321/

Will we see an Xbox environment which does games, internet, movies
(netflix?), video calling and voice to the loungeroom?

Stephen Gillies
max at 3rdbasenetworks.net.au