[AusNOG] PCH survey on peering

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Thu May 5 15:02:34 EST 2011

On 05/05/2011, at 12:37 PM, Damien Morris wrote:

> This gets raised in Golding's 2003 presentation as well: "FDDI and ATM
> peering are deprecated. ATM peering has been proven to be economically
> unfeasible."
>
> I'm amazed that peering was done over ATM..

Lots of things were done with ATM in the 1990s - I helped build quite a few large ATM networks for people because for quite a while, it was the faster way of connecting things.   155mbps/622mbps ATM were considerably faster than Fast Ethernet and had many more options for long haul.   I still remember hand carrying a card with a single 40km STM1 interface to a customer interstate and testing it with them with a box of around 30km of unclad fibre.   A 34Mbps intercap circuit in the mid-nineties using E3 ATM ports was pretty darn cool.

Don't forget MPLS originated as a way of using ATM!

MMC