[AusNOG] PCH survey on peering

James Spenceley james at vocus.com.au
Thu May 5 13:40:04 EST 2011

>> Yep.   The ones where contracts exist tend to be where there is some kind
>> of infrastructure involved (PNIs etc) or where alternate connectivity is
>> expensive or impractical (or uneconomic to provide).
>>

> This gets raised in Golding's 2003 presentation as well: "FDDI and ATM
> peering are deprecated. ATM peering has been proven to be economically
> unfeasible."
>
> I'm amazed that peering was done over ATM..

ah the days of logging into a portal to order up a PVC to a peer ... I'd forgotten about those.

It wasn't just a lack of economics that made it unfeasible but also requirement to have the IX be involved in the setup of each peering session, then the problems of managing multiple STM1 interfaces, VCs and routing that killed ATM exchanges.

One of those, seemed like a good idea at the time, ideas, like running a Tier1 backbone with ATM SVCs rather than routing :-)

--
James