[AusNOG] VPN device

Ian Henderson ianh at ianh.net.au
Tue May 3 18:53:25 EST 2011

On 03/05/2011, at 4:46 PM, David Hughes wrote:

> Cisco ASA has the grunt (particularly clustered) but it's an old platform and really isn't that pleasant to work with.  And if it's SSL VPN then it gets expensive quickly.

If you don't need the fanciness of Cisco Secure Desktop, or some other bits, you can buy AnyConnect Essential licences much cheaper than the original SSL VPN licences.

I'm in no way making excuses for the ASA platform here, though. :) IOS-XR has given IOS a stack of nice management toys (config rollback, etc), its time for the same makeover for the ASA OS.

If you don't drink the Cisco koolaid, Juniper's SRX range are pretty awesome and can be had quite cheaply, but I haven't dealt with VPN on them.

Rgds,

- I.