[AusNOG] 2Wire Modems on Telstra DSL tails - problem?

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Wed Jun 8 12:33:36 EST 2011

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 11:09:49 +0930
John Edwards <john at netniche.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Skeeve,
>
> Could be a coincidence, but there are some CPE modem/routers that lock up randomly when they receive IPv6 neighbour-discovery packets. This happens even though the modems are IPv4 only. My guess is that there's some latent IPv6 processing code in the linux-based kernels that references stripped-out code.

The shame of it is that these CPE are commonly based on linux/pppd, and
pppd will issue a Protocol Reject if IPCPV6 is attempted and IPv6 isn't
enabled. It's as though they stripped out the Protocol Reject code from
pppd.

> If IPv6 has been turned on today at a BRAS near you, it could be causing the fault.
>
> These modem/routers include some popular models that are no longer getting firmware updates. I note that we tried to get the vendor to fix this when it was still being developed, only to be told "it works fine on Internode IPv6 with bridged mode".
>
> For the near future dual-stack PPP aggregation best practice will still need to be per-user IPv6, or a separate login domain.

Cisco have a command to make IPCPV6 negotiation passive, so that the
BRAS would only try to bring up IPv6 if the CPE asks for it - IIRC,
it's "ppp ncp ipv6cp passive" or maybe "ppp ncp passive ipv6cp" that
you'd add under your virtual template. Apparently Juniper have an
equivalent.