[AusNOG] 2Wire Modems on Telstra DSL tails - problem?

John Edwards john at netniche.com.au
Wed Jun 8 11:39:49 EST 2011

Hi Skeeve,

Could be a coincidence, but there are some CPE modem/routers that lock up randomly when they receive IPv6 neighbour-discovery packets. This happens even though the modems are IPv4 only. My guess is that there's some latent IPv6 processing code in the linux-based kernels that references stripped-out code.

If IPv6 has been turned on today at a BRAS near you, it could be causing the fault.

These modem/routers include some popular models that are no longer getting firmware updates. I note that we tried to get the vendor to fix this when it was still being developed, only to be told "it works fine on Internode IPv6 with bridged mode".

For the near future dual-stack PPP aggregation best practice will still need to be per-user IPv6, or a separate login domain.

John