[AusNOG] Hoax calls ?

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Sat Jul 16 20:32:10 EST 2011

On 16/07/2011 7:10 PM, Nathan Brookfield wrote:
> Keith,
>
> They use several different DiD's and they have been doing this under the same name
> for at least 12 months,
>
> I have a list 10 or more deep of clients and friends some who were stupid enough to
> give them access to tree machines.
>
> They even given you a return number to call you back on to reassure you they are
> legit which they clearly are not.
>
> Kindest Regards,
> Nathan Brookfield

I've been contacted twice by 'John' from Windows Support on a crackly line with an
Indian accent, and at least 3 of my family as well.
These guys are busy.
I reported them and the phone number they claimed to the ACCC ScamWatch site
https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/tag/reportascam - if enough people
also do they might issue some public warnings.

FWIW, the latest similar scam seems to be people ringing to ask 'are you happy with
your banking arrangements'. Don't know how this one plays out, I haven't had the
patience to work through their script, but I've been hit on three different numbers in
two weeks.
--

Paul