[AusNOG] Hoax calls ?

David Walker davidianwalker at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 20:33:21 EST 2011

Howdy.

On 16/07/2011, Keith Anderson <KeithA at apcs.com.au> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> My customers are getting calls from virtualitsupport
>
> they seem to remotely connect to your PC so they can get all your personal
> records.
>
> The web site used was www.support.me / it just redirects.
>
> The return phone number supplied is 08 72000407
>
> Anybody know who they are ?

You don't get out much do you ...
That's probably not true, you have a day gig right?
My experience is that's when they call ... I've had three or four as
of now and probably only one in the evening.

Still, this is not new ... and it's also very common.

Gummint:
http://www.police.qld.gov.au/News+and+Alerts/Media+Releases/2009/04/New+scam+targets+computer+users.htm
http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/ConsumerProtection/scamnet/Scams/SupportonClick.com.html

Notice the dates ... 2009

Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/australia/presspass/post/Microsoft-issues-warning-on-phone-scam

Notice the date on that ... 2010

I had one of these calls a few weeks back and wondered ... when will
MS get on the telly and make a statement.
Coincidentally there's a story next day on A Current Affair with a MS
spokesperson suggesting users hang up and so forth ...

I phoned Microsoft (Philippines) the other day and they have a
synopsis of that warning during the on hold muzak.

Media:
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/314295/windows_event_viewer_phishing_scam_remains_active/
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/thousands-fleeced-in-microsoft-scam-but-police-powerless-to-act-20101209-18qgq.html
http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/investigations/8250275/call-centre-scammers

Here's the usual script:

Hello, I'm ... deliberately muffled/indecipherable ... Microsoft ...
... we notice some problems with your machine that are from a virus ...
... or some other awkward phrasing ...

Open up the "Run..." dialog and type eventvwr ...
... which of course opens the logs replete with standard/common
Windows warnings and errors.

See that, this is very dangerous ...
Please do this to allow us to help you ...

What follows is predictably a remote session (everything goes) plus an
offer to "fix" issues for some certain fee ... for good or bad, credit
card details follow ...

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/06/16/study-reveals-scale-of-fake-tech-support-call-scams/?amp&amp

I believe there's a thread or more at WP for this and many others
scattered over the globe.
They like to hang up on me ...
... there's usually palpable anger when they ask me "are you in front
of your computer now ... which version of Windows ... sir" and I reply
either with "please let me ask you, are you aware that there are other
operating systems on the planet" or "how can you receive a bug report
from one of my machines and not know which flavour of Windows it is".

I apparently got someone in training once - yes they are a real call
centre with employees and training ... she put me on to her supervisor
to whom I spoke for about 45 minutes ...
Let's say the level of computing knowledge "on the floor" is next to zero.
Reminded me very much of talking to Microsoft support ...
... they've hung up on me as well when I won't follow some lame script ...

So even though I'm fully aware what Event Viewer is and what it does
and doesn't show and even though there's no way I'm going to type
commands on my desktop peecee from a fake Microsoft over the phone
unless I know exactly what they do .... the guys at Fake Microsoft are
more than happy to type things on their workstations on my say so ...
to illustrate a point on how to get messages to appear in the logs ...
even when they say "they have never done that before" or seen that ...

So nothing new here.
All basic stuff ... unfortunately like most things of this nature only
combated by education ... which isn't happening soon ...

It'll be the same as phishing ...
Joe Public willl be told ad nauseum to hang up ...
The day Microsoft or their ISP does call they'll have no other skills
up their sleeve ...

Best wishes.