[AusNOG] Networking mentorship

Steve Lisson SteveL at dedicatedservers.net.au
Sat Jan 8 01:07:39 EST 2011

Hi,

I have been concerned for quite some time that there has not been the
same resources available that I initially learnt on (i.e. Occaid).

Occaid is still running (we peer with them) but it is not possible for
anyone apart from an established network operator to join now.

I would like to propose that like minded network professionals set up a
similar system but expand it a bit further (and also limit it to
Australian's, if demand in other countries can deal with that later)
that we also mentor the people that join and also set up a loose
curriculum, primarily to ensure that anyone who joins is an actual
student looking to learn and not going to abuse the test network, as
they progress they will gain better access.

I have helped a couple of people gain experience with BGP by peering
with my home systems (and select others after observing they are
operating correctly) via multi-hop or tunnels.

Regards,

Steve