[AusNOG] iiNet / AFACT appeal dismissed

Damien Morris djm at roadhou.se
Sun Feb 27 19:45:31 EST 2011

On 27/02/2011, at 6:50 PM, Mark Smith wrote:

>> I know I'm not suggesting anything new or groundbreaking here, but my gut
>> feel is that once copyright holders feel that they're getting their cut
>> they're not going to devote resources to litigations anymore and this
>> outcome could be the most likely.
> The question is what sort of "cut" are they expecting? If they're
> expecting "pre-Internet" level distribution "cuts" then I think they're
> never going to be satisfied. I think it's likely that they won't really
> Suing your customers won't work now, just like it didn't work 100 years
> ago -
> http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=863

This article helps me reinforce my vision of the future.. I think eventually legitimate methods, be they an iTunes model with DRM or ad supported or whatever, will push their "cut" up to the level where litigations again become as pointless as they did with people recording TV shows using their Sony Betamax or making a copy of an LP onto a TDK-D90 using their PYE 3-in-1 stereos.

Once enough punters have real broadband and legitimate viewing of on-demand copyrighted material becomes a simple one-click process, illegal downloaders will become the minority and less of a thorn in Big Evil Corporation's side.

Either that or my crystal ball is way too optimistic :)

Cheers,
Damien.