[AusNOG] iiNet / AFACT appeal dismissed

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Sun Feb 27 18:50:52 EST 2011

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 15:31:08 +0900
Damien Morris <damien at yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> On 24/02/11 3:14 PM, "David Hughes" <david at hughes.com.au> wrote:
>

> >http://www.itnews.com.au/News/249187,breaking-iinet-victorious-as-film-ind
> >ustry-appeal-dismissed.aspx
> >
> >Congratulations to all involved.   Chalk one up for common senses,
> >although some of the language used in the judgement is a little
> >concerning.
> >

> Is it sacrilegious to predict/hope these cases will actually dwindle and
> disappear over the years as the content producing houses catch up with
> modern business models (e.g. The iTunes model) rather than engage in FUD
> over whether AFACT or the MPAA et al will continue attempting to turn the
> screws?
>
> I know I'm not suggesting anything new or groundbreaking here, but my gut
> feel is that once copyright holders feel that they're getting their cut
> they're not going to devote resources to litigations anymore and this
> outcome could be the most likely.

The question is what sort of "cut" are they expecting? If they're
expecting "pre-Internet" level distribution "cuts" then I think they're
never going to be satisfied. I think it's likely that they won't really
realise or want to realise that they've stopped adding a fair bit of
value to the distribution chain, and therefore deserve less financial
compensation or recognition for the value they add.

Suing your customers won't work now, just like it didn't work 100 years
ago -

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=863

Regards,
Mark.