[AusNOG] Final /8 allocated to APNIC from IANA (103/8)

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Feb 7 12:08:54 EST 2011

In message <A2EC50DF-7C76-45A2-8A3D-9EE7D6FCBD90 at Hughes.com.au>, David Hughes w
rites:

> On 04/02/2011, at 10:45 AM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
>
> > Some of the decisions are too late to turn around, but reducing the default
>  end site size to /56 from /48 would give 8 bits back to being with.
>
> Couldn't agree more.  Although "arithmetically elegant", defaulting to a /48
> allocation is nothing short of blatantly wasteful.

There are 35,184,372,088,832 /48 sites in the current allocation
policies.  When we run out of them we can switch to /56's for the
next 8th of the address space which give 9,007,199,254,740,992
additional sites.

Unless ISP's are exceeding wasteful (by rounding everything up to the
next largest nibble) we won't run out of sites for the foreseeable future.

The only place where we should be nibble aligning is at the site delegation.
ISP should be able to cope with none nibble alignments.