[AusNOG] Final /8 allocated to APNIC from IANA (103/8)

David Hughes David at Hughes.com.au
Mon Feb 7 11:17:53 EST 2011

On 04/02/2011, at 10:45 AM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> Some of the decisions are too late to turn around, but reducing the default end site size to /56 from /48 would give 8 bits back to being with.

Couldn't agree more.  Although "arithmetically elegant", defaulting to a /48 allocation is nothing short of blatantly wasteful.

> (Waits for the howling that comes from saying heretical things, whilst whistling "history never repeats, I tell myself before I goto sleep").

There is a certain sense of Deja vu about this.  I had hoped to be sitting on a beach drinking pina coladas by the time transition to IPv6 became an operational requirement.  Clawing back that extra 8 bits of v6 space will certainly help ensure I hit that life goal before we run out next time ;-)

David