[AusNOG] squid peering mesh

John Edwards john at netniche.com.au
Tue Feb 1 16:10:27 EST 2011

Once upon a time something like this was run over SAIX in South Australia.

http://www1.ie.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/199811/0028.html

You may recognise one of the names from PIPE as the creator. I'm not sure what happened to the special "CSS" code that made a mesh more practical.

It's hard to imagine a squid mesh improving the performance of today's switched networks, due to the additional latency of querying multiple servers you have no control over hundreds of times per second - happy to be corrected if Adrian is lurking :)

John