[AusNOG] IPocalypse now (?)

Alastair Johnson aj at sneep.net
Tue Feb 1 14:13:28 EST 2011

The problem is that a provider of colocation and transit services to many individual customers (that would not qualify for an APNIC assignment, yet), will be unable to get additional space from APNIC for new customers once they receive their final /22; unless they go the questionable route of setting up shell companies to receive multiple allocations.

Whether or not they have deployed v6 is somewhat irrelevant since they will still have customer demand for v4, but will be unable to satisfy that demand without some tricky load-balancer work.

I'm somewhat on the fence with the proposal to change from /8 to /9 for this reason. I certainly appreciate that we're holding it for the future; but it does lock up resources so that they may end up never used.

It is potentially much worse for the content operators than the access operators...

aj