[AusNOG] FW: women in IT, was -> Useful tools - IPv6 Buddy

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 19:52:12 EST 2011

You're stereotyping. Just because some men buy on the basis of sexual
attraction does not mean they all do. This type of marketing alienates
many people, male and female. Our industry, while predominantly male,
has a diverse range of men - many from a range of cultures who find
this inappropriate.

To illustrate about 10 years ago when I took possession from the
builders of what was then the largest data centre on Harris St
(Sydney) it was filled with pornographic magazines and posters. I was
about to start commissioning a lot of gear and had a team coming on
site. And customers not long after.

I calmly, but noticeably, picked up one of those magazines and binned
it. The next day they were all gone. My best sysadmin thanked me
quietly the next day because he was appalled by it.

There are much better ways to get your message across.

Given this is borderline OT I shan't add anything more on the list.

Cheers

Narelle

--

Narelle