[AusNOG] FW: women in IT, was -> Useful tools - IPv6 Buddy

Klaus Boehme kdb at iig.com.au
Mon Dec 12 17:20:42 EST 2011

 From a different perspective, whether you like it or not, "Sex Sells"!
  Always has, always will.

We can only assume that the IPv6 Buddy people actually did their market
research.  If so, it likely showed that the majority of their market
would be influenced by the type of imagery shown on the site.

They may have further been advised that a small percentage may be
offended and, at best, could hope for some controversy based on that
offense to further highlight knowledge of their product.  I think they
just achieved that.

They are interested in selling product and are going for the majority of
their target market and know that they probably won't sell to the
smaller non-male and SNAG percentage of that - yet will likely pick that
up after the product hits the streets and is shown to be useful (or not).

In the same light, many products that are targeted at females are thinly
disguised (if not obviously) as erect phallic symbols.  Males don't tend
to notice and/or care in the same light that many won't notice or care
that there's "chicks" selling this product!

Still don't like the fact that "Sex Sells" and that it is here to stay?
  Note also that Spam Sells!  None of us, male or female, like that, but
while it sells product, someone will pay someone else to send it.  It's
all just about SELLING product and making a quid.

Klaus