[AusNOG] Domain Name Group Pty Ltd cheaky marketing...

David Walker davidianwalker at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 17:46:30 EST 2011

On 16/08/2011, Bruce Forster <bruce at tubes.net.au> wrote:
> I hosted it for you guys, yeah I cut a few things out of the notice:
> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/scampage001.jpg/

Here's one of mine.
Like yours there's a .au domain involved.
http://imageupload.com.au/users/public/s49323fake_redctedn39.png

Surely the auDA is a really good choke point for that.

6. REVOCATION OF LICENCE

auDA may, at its discretion, cancel the registration of a .au domain
name, or revoke a licence to use a .au domain name:

6.1 if the registrant breaches any auDA Published Policy; or

6.2 in order to comply with a request of a law enforcement agency, or
an order of a court, or under any applicable law, government rule or
requirement, or under any dispute resolution process; or

6.3 to protect the integrity and stability of the domain name system
or the .au registry.

The auDa don't want to be judge and judy to revoke based on extraneous
points of law that aren't settled ... i.e. they shouldn't pull a
license because I ask them or the Prime Minister asks them where it
concerns contract law or some other act ...
... let the matter be ascertained first as per 6.2 ...

However, when it relates to domain names where the auDA are peers and
experts and have already decided on purview in other matters either
use 6.3 or "publish a policy" vis-a-vis defrauding registrants in
accordance with 6.2 where the matter of expertise is the .au domain
space and short circuit everybody else.
Review the matter and all that.

If this is okay (a published policy concomittant with revocation) ...
http://www.auda.org.au/policies/auda-2008-10/
... then yank domains of those that specifically attack the integrity
of the .au namespace or use it as a base of operations to specifically
attack others who use it.

Best wishes.