[AusNOG] [v6z] Re: Google DNS 8.8.8.8

Jeremy Visser jeremy at visser.name
Tue Apr 26 12:25:41 EST 2011

Scott Howard said:
> Whilst this might be a good idea in theory, realistically it's going to
> have the same issues that 6to4 has (which uses an anycast address of
> 192.88.99.x)

Couldn’t agree more. 6to4 works reliably at home, but for my Linode
hosted at a HE facility in Fremont, since October 6to4 has suffered from
major outages, packet loss, and weird routing. (Seeing packets come back
to me from Mumbai and the far reaches of Eastern Europe.)

Because 192.88.99.1 is anycast, I have no way to shut up whoever the
heck is hosting a faulty 6to4 server, and I don’t have the necessary
knowledge to track them down (apart from, maybe, a traceroute).

Inter-ISP anycast is fine, but to me an anycast free-for-all is just
going to end in tears.

For the record, Windows defaults to using fec0:0:0:ffff::1,
fec0:0:0:ffff::2, and fec0:0:0:ffff::3 as their primary, secondary, and
tertiary IPv6 DNS servers (despite the range being deprecated). A
deployment case for anycast IPv6 DNS?