[AusNOG] Google DNS 8.8.8.8

Matt S matt at mtt.me
Thu Apr 21 12:41:11 EST 2011

On 21/04/2011, at 10:20, "Shaun Ewing" <shaun at shaun.net> wrote:

> On 20/04/2011, at 5:46 PM, Matt S wrote:
>
>> 8.8.8.8 has never been anywhere but the US afaik. If you want a public DNS server to use 139.130.4.4 and 61.88.88.88 have always been good for me. (Telstra and Optus respectively).
>
> They have a few locations outside the US, but I've never noticed an Australian location. I am currently hitting 8.8.8.8 at 136ms though, which means it's likely somewhere in APAC

> In almost all cases I'd recommend using the resolvers provided by your ISP. If that's not viable, then certainly something close by otherwise you can and most likely will see a performance impact - and if not a performance impact, then some unmetered content provided by your ISP could certainly become metered.

Indeed - particularly on iiNet with the unmetering of iTunes.

I moved to 139.130.4.4 and 61.88.88.88 when Bigpond started using a DNS assistance service which did not appeal to me (I'm told they've stopped now though?)

In Vietnam 8.8.8.8 is very popular to circumvent the blocking of facebook and various other sites and is actually passed down as the primary DNS server on the Mobifone and Vinaphone 3G networks.

I certainly don't disagree - your ISPs resolvers are pretty much always the best option, but there are exceptions.

> I conducted some tests a few months ago and published the results on my web site a few months back if anyone is interested:
> http://shaun.net/2011/02/how-third-party-dns-resolvers-can-impact-performance/

That's quite interesting - certainly mirrors my own experiences with OpenDNS et al.