[AusNOG] FW: [apnic-talk] IPv4 address exchange

Terry Manderson terry at terrym.net
Tue Apr 19 09:34:40 EST 2011

Indeed,

The key point is that it is pretty easy to observe that the demand for IPv4 is not decreasing. Some organisations are bound to go to some lengths to acquire v4 space for their own reasons, I'm sure we all know of a recent event that demonstrates this. The critical concern in my mind is that v4 transfers are appropriately tracked in the respective RIRs to ensure the uniqueness of internet number resources. Without that the game becomes unplayable on many different levels. Be that in the current model of RIR/NIR or if a hybrid RIR/Commercial-Registrar model eventuates from industry drive.

I don't see a v4 trading entity pop up as an 'oh crap' moment. In fact its better to know who they are and what they are doing and perhaps have the RIRs work with them in some guiding capacity.

Cheers
Terry