[AusNOG] Powering a Cisco Nexus 7018

Damien Morris damien at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Apr 12 15:19:08 EST 2011

Simon,

Thanks for the prompt response :) They're 7.5kW PSUs and after loading up the intended modules I really don't see the units dragging more than 11kW and it's more likely to hover around 2kW looking at similar reference machines in different DCs around the world internally.

Hence why I don't think running separate circuits for all those PSU inlets is the right solution (57kW per chassis? Really?), and wondering what solutions others might use or have used to distribute a lower number of feeds so you still get redundancy at feed and PSU levels and more than enough kVA available, without needing to buy a ton of idle power.

Thanks,
Damien.