[AusNOG] IPv6 Addressing

David Hughes David at Hughes.com.au
Thu Apr 7 09:37:32 EST 2011

On 07/04/2011, at 9:19 AM, Brett O'Hara wrote:

> Didn't Geoff say based on current policies, ipv6 allocations may run out in
> 300 to 400 years?

Ahh, but who says things will stay as they are?  How about a hypothetical.   We have soooo many addresses we don't really need NAT anymore do we?  So how about we include a framed-route for each broadband connection.  So instead of a BB subscriber consuming a single IP address (i.e. their router's outside address) they now consume a /64 as well.  That'd eat another million+ /64's for Australia alone.

What else may change that we haven't thought about yet?  As I said, my crystal ball isn't that good so I'd prefer to err on the side of caution (or at least efficiency).

David