[AusNOG] IPv6 Addressing

Jones, Rick Rick.Jones at au.harveynorman.com
Thu Apr 7 08:04:33 EST 2011

I think we can safely say that the magnitude of the numbers are such that the problem will not surface for a very long time, and the technology to manage it will be very, very different.  I know it sounds like we are putting our heads in the sand, but in fact we are not.

Ipv4 is able to deliver 1,677,216 /24 subnets (ignoring reserved addresses).
Ipv6 is able to deliver 18,446,744,073,709,600,000 /64 subnets (again ignoring reserved addresses).

Making the subnet smaller gives us very little practical benefit - CPUs like working with numbers on 32 bit boundaries and going to 79,228,162,514,264,300,000,000,000,000 /32 subnets gives us no practical benefit at all, unless we want to assign addresses at the atomic or sub-atomic level.

The benefit of /64 is that it is consistent across the Internet, and means that we can forget about the sizes of subnets once and for all.  The order of magnitude jump from 32 bits to 128 bits gives us 79,228,162,514,264,300,000,000,000,000 ipv4 address spaces to play with, far more than we are ever going to use in the next 40 years.

Cheers,
Rick