[AusNOG] IPv6 Addressing

David Hughes David at Hughes.com.au
Thu Apr 7 07:51:08 EST 2011

On 07/04/2011, at 12:00 AM, Mark Andrews wrote:

> Or because the numbers are very different.  There are 14 million
> /24 sized networks with IPv4.  IPv4 was always going to run out if
> everybody the planet has a network.  You can't even give everyone
> a address.

But there's the rub Mark.  I don't think Vint Cerf ever expected everyone on the planet to get an address so 4,294,967,296 v4 addresses should have been heaps.  Similarly, based on the usage at the time, Bill Gates was probably right in saying "640K ought to be enough for anybody".

Perhaps your crystal ball is clearer than mine but I have no idea how people are going to be using v6 addresses in 40 years (approx age of IPv4) so it would be prudent to use the addresses wisely and efficiently even if you think "18,446,744,073,709,551,616 /64s ought to be enough for anybody".

But, as has been pointed out, this has been done to death and is verging on religious rather than technical so probably best we move on.

David