[AusNOG] IPv6 Addressing

Rohan Saldanha (rsaldanh) rsaldanh at cisco.com
Wed Apr 6 14:23:19 EST 2011

Some additional reasons,
- Recommended by RFC3177 and IAB/IESG.
- Consistency of /64 makes management easy
- /64 is a MUST if you are planning to use Stateless Address
AutoConfiguration (SLAAC), (MSFT DHCPv6 also) for assignment of ipv6
prefixes.

To address concerns of those who do not like to waste 18.466 Quintillion
addresses on a point to point link, there are special cases which can be
used,
/126-valid for p2p
/127-valid for p2p if you are careful
(draft-kohno-ipv6-prefixlen-p2p-xx/(RFC3627)). Be careful about interop
issues if doing /127
/128-loopback

Cheers
Rohan.