[AusNOG] Looking for someone who has experience with Nextgen VPLS

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Tue Apr 5 21:34:04 EST 2011

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 18:48:10 +0800
"Greg M" <gregm at servu.net.au> wrote:

> Thanks to a couple of replies off-list:
>
> ip tcp adjust-mss 1452
>
> One line on our Cisco 3560's resolved everything

That's very strange, because I'm pretty sure that doesn't adjust the TCP
window parameters that usually constrain the amount of data in flight
i.e. the bandwidth delay product. Those are the Window Size field in
the TCP header (limited to 16 bits) and the window scale option, used
to scale the Window Size field up so that it can represent values
larger than 65535. Typically this window size is constrained by how
much memory the OS allocates, with various earlier versions of windows
not allocating enough to fill up these large bandwidth delay product
links (also known as LFNs or Large Fat Networks ('elefants'))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_window_scale_option

If the above has worked, then maybe the 3560 is adjusting more than the
MSS option, as the MSS option is only sent during the TCP 3 way
handshake, well before Window Sizes for in flight data have any
influence.