[AusNOG] Looking for someone who has experience with Nextgen VPLS

Greg M gregm at servu.net.au
Mon Apr 4 21:07:16 EST 2011

Hi Noggers,

I am looking for someone who is able to consult/provide support to a large
organisation which has recently deployed a 100M Nextgen VPLS link between an
office in Perth & Sydney,  and is experiencing the most bizzare throughput
issues.

This link has Nextgen fiber in Perth, with Telstra fiber hand off in Sydney,
resold via Nextgen as an end-to-end VPLS circuit.

The issue we face is relating to speed.

-          From Switch A In Sydney to Switch B in Perth, we can do a non-df
ping of 1500 bytes for 24 hours without a single dropped packet  - so there
are no MTU issues. Latency is also always stable, even when maxing the link
at 100Mbps.

-          Each server in Sydney connected to Switch A, can push the full
VPLS line speed of 100Mbps to servers connected to Switch B in Perth (two
endpoints of the VPLS tails)

-          There is a 3rd site in Perth that has a 1Gbps Amcom fiber link
directly between Switch C in this site, and Switch B in the other Perth
site.

-          Some systems on Switch A in Sydney, can push 100Mbps to some
servers on Switch C in Perth site #2, yet others can only push 10Mbp, while
some can only push 1-3Mbps. There are no speed issues between the two Perth
sites, however as they can happily pump a full 1Gbps to each other.

-          There is a 100Mbps link to WAIX connecting into Switch B in
Perth. Perth site #2 can do full 100mbps to a test FTP download (lets say
iiNet's 500MB test file on their FTP), yet Sydney can only get 45Mbps.

Basically only the directly connected Sydney Switch and Perth switch are
able to max out the 100Mbps VPLS circuit. As soon as traffic goes beyond
this switch, speed seems to degrade - however it doesn't degrade to all
locations, as some systems/servers can obtain a full 100Mbps transfer speed
both inbound and outbound via the Sydney to Perth VPLS. In Perth sites #1
and #2, there are no speed issues at all, to any site (there are other
remote VPLS and other connected endpoints), it is only this specific site
that is having issues.

There are no errors on any of the interfaces in any of the Perth sites,
however the Sydney site reports a lot of Outbound Discards on the switch
port that connects to the Telstra/nextgen VPLS link in Sydney.

Happy to receive responses on or off-list, and we are happy to pay for
someone either locally in Sydney or in Perth to help diagnose this - as a
lot of money is being burnt on this circuit that is not providing consistent
speeds. We have raised these issues to both Nextgen and Telstra and they are
pointing the finger at our internal network.

Thanks!

Greg