[AusNOG] 700Mbps over copper pair...over 400 metres

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Thu Sep 23 14:14:36 EST 2010

On 23/09/2010, at 1:22 PM, Julien Goodwin wrote:

The "average" attenuation is sufficient that VDSL2 from the exchange, along with issues around interference mean it's not very practical.  VDSL2 is a "cabinet" technology - ie.  FTTN style of thing where you place the active equipment within 1km or so of a house.
Giving those of you with actual experience in getting this stuff
approved no real incentive to do so.

I take a bit of offence at that.   We tried very hard.  One of my engineers was on the Comms Alliance working group and put in a great deal of time with this.   There were many attempts at compromise to get it approved.  In the end, we could have had it approved (ie. unanimous vote) but in a way that would have meant a lot of forms of access would have disappeared (ie. no SHDSL, no AnnexM and poorer ADSL1/2/2+ from the exchange).

MMC
--
Matthew Moyle-Croft
Peering Manager and Team Lead - Commercial and DSLAMs