[AusNOG] Cisco 6500 with Sup 720 3BXL - Good routing platform ??

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Sun Sep 19 14:51:54 EST 2010

Alex,
What do you actually need to do?

MMC

On 19/09/2010, at 2:14 PM, Alex Pinto wrote:

Roland

Thanks for your comments; I was unaware of the netflow “flaws” in this product I can see from a security point of view this would make visibility on the network on what’s going on very hard to see…

So your recommendation is to choose a more feature rich platform and offset some of the performance options found on the 6500/7600 platform.

So how much are ASR1ks with a handful of gig interfaces ? or the GSR / CSR-1 platform you speak of  ?

I’d like to go Juniper, but the budget just does not allow for it.

Alex

> From: rdobbins at arbor.net<mailto:rdobbins at arbor.net>
> To: ausnog at ausnog.net<mailto:ausnog at ausnog.net>
> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 03:47:47 +0000
> Subject: Re: [AusNOG] Cisco 6500 with Sup 720 3BXL - Good routing platform ??
>

> On Sep 19, 2010, at 1:15 PM, Alex Pinto wrote:
>
> > So what’s the catch ??
>

> Broken NetFlow that's operationally useless; arcane and irksome ACL construction limitations to avoid overflowing TCAM and thus software switching traffic and thus self-DoSing the box; uRPF mode settings for the whole box only, rather than on a per-port basis.
>
> The NetFlow issues alone preclude this box (and the 7600) from serious consideration as an edge platform with currently-available hardware.
>
> Instead, I'd suggest looking at multiple ASR1Ks, at ASR9K (if it meets your feature requirements), an N7K (if it meets your feature requirements), a small GSR, or a small CRS-1.
>
> I urge you to avoid 6500 or 7600 as an edge platform at all costs.

> Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at arbor.net<mailto:rdobbins at arbor.net>> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>
>
> Sell your computer and buy a guitar.

<ATT00001..txt>

--
Matthew Moyle-Croft
Peering Manager and Team Lead - Commercial and DSLAMs