[AusNOG] NBN must avoid becoming 'failed state'

Dmitri Kalintsev dek735 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 11:09:14 EST 2010

[devil's advocate hat on]

Assuming a 25 Mbit/s upstream, an NBN end-user will be out of their 1TB
quota in less than 10 hours.

We should also not forget that in NBN world RSPs will still have a CPE under
their full control on end-user premises, which they could use to implement
said "tactical measures" without NBN Co's help.

[devil's advocate hat off]

BTW, just today came across an excellent analysis of what probably is the
largest known botnet to date (16M+ hosts). Country breakdown:

http://www.nobunkum.ru/issue003/tdss-botnet/stat_countries.png

(Article itself - http://www.nobunkum.ru/issue003/tdss-botnet/ - sorry, it's
in Russian, but they say that the English version is coming soon).

Just my 2c.

-- D