[AusNOG] NBN must avoid becoming 'failed state'

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Sat Sep 18 21:22:58 EST 2010

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 9:09 PM, David Hughes <david at hughes.com.au> wrote:

>> Didn't really happen.  Speaking holistically, it's hard to argue that the
>> state of the security art is any worse now than it's ever been.
>
> Can't say I can agree with that Mark.  I reckon it did happen.  In the days of Dial-up, the outbound capability of the average compromised machines was so limited that the target of a DoS attack was pretty much restricted to other dial-up clients.  V.90 only gave you 33k outbound so you'd need a metric shedload of compromised machines to do any significant damage to a well connected content source.
>
> With the advent of ADSL, the dramatically increased outbound capacity means that a botnet can now have a pretty good crack at a tier-1 web property or the root nameservers.   Take that to an NBN environment and you have gone for a 20:1 outbound ratio at 20mbps to a 2.5:1 ratio at 100mbps.  I'd suggest that even a single NBN attached machine could do significant damage to an "average" web site.

And now that you can "kill anyone" with fewer bots, you just increased
the value of the botherders assets.  e.g., If I only need 5000
machines instead of 50k for a "single unit of pwn", I have 90% of my
infrastructure idle for making me more money.  I'm assuming the market
has sufficient demand for additional DDoS, but the point is any
additional packet-per-second makes the herders more money.  As we
know, ethernet networks are generally very effective at delivering
line-rate.  So expect DDoS to put heavy pressure on the G[x]PON OLTs.

> So I stand by my autobahn analogy.  The problem has always existed.  But at higher speeds it just more dramatic (or a dramatic outcome is much easier to achieve).

I think you're 100% right - the botherders will follow the money, and
they'll come to the NBN like they have to other hyper connected
societies, because it makes them more money to do so.  I read that as
Roland's message.

I'd like to see the NBNco talk about rate-limiting and other tactical
measures (such as temporary ACLs, pushback-like approaches and so on),
that can be triggered by RSPs via the API, as a way of rapidly
reducing the economic value of the end hosts attached to the NBN for
bot herders.  That'd be something they could be really proud of, I
reckon.

-a