[AusNOG] Katter backs Coalition - Windsor backs Gillard

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Tue Sep 7 16:55:17 EST 2010

  On 7/09/2010 3:51 PM, McDonald Richards wrote:
> Yea so they can connect that fat Gig-E access pipe to a provider backhauling
> them on a 45M DS-3! Lets face it - until the backhaul is ready and priced
> competitively, who can actually afford to connect to a 100mbit connection in
> regional Australia?
>
> The logic of the decision to build that way is noble, but will they be
> sensible about it or will we see islands of fibre connected homes in an
> ocean of low-speed backhaul?

The regional and remote areas are those places where all the main proposals agree will
be served by satellite and wireless.
So, we may see some continuing work on satellites, and prioritised backhaul fibre to
the earthstations when it is decided where and whos they will be,
and the wireless aspects fast-tracked in regional areas - probably those areas where
competitive (to the narrow definition of NBN Co) backhaul already exists - so its 12+
Mbps services to be fast-tracked.

P.