[AusNOG] Katter backs Coalition - Windsor backs Gillard

Phillip Britt phil at wideband.net.au
Tue Sep 7 15:59:18 EST 2010

There's no doubt that backhaul is an issue in regional areas, but there
are quite a lot of areas with competitive backhaul now and the thing a
lot of people forget is there are regional providers offering these
services (wireless, not fibre) in many areas today.  SA and VIC are two
states which are starting to see extensive areas of Wireless coverage
and at the speeds NBN is proposing.

Are we going to see NBN run over the top of these projects or actually
start in areas which have no commercial alternative currently?  That is
where they should be starting.  There needs to be more consultation with
existing providers that are already offering these types of services to
see how they can be integrated into the bigger picture.

Cheers,
Phil