[AusNOG] AAB Statement

Darren Worley darren at worley.org.au
Mon Sep 6 09:42:39 EST 2010

> And as I've replied, if he can't, then surely he can approach
> people within Telstra that could.  I'm not sure about others
> on this list, but I would like to know if in PM Rudds
> desperate last days NBN 2.0 was condemned to Telstra
> ownership before it's was even born.

> It's typical answer avoidance.

> It's funny how there is no problem in Telstra people coming
> on the list and saying how ridiculous such an idea is, yet a
> simple "true" or "not true" answer to dispel the rumour is
> not as forthcoming.
>
> [b]

For me, its not about the actual answer to the rumour we receive, but the
honesty of it and the behind closed door deals & secrecy. This is only _one_
rumour. My 2 Questions are
 1: What else are we not aware of??
 2: and more importantly WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY & WHY??
Governments and documents of this nature should be open and transparent to
avoid any potential for rumours. Just sometimes, a good ol 'please explain'
to 'keep the bastards honest' can go a long way. Pity someone cant wikileak?

<Monday morning lack of caffeine delurk rant>
Heh, A wannabe conspiracy theorist might even start to add up recent events
and suggest that between this NBN and **ALL** its associated hidden agenda
and secret deals, the GAFF (Great Aussie Firewall Filter), the Attorney
Generals Dept wanting all browsing history stored along with other things
like 'Cert Australia' etc. Notice there has been a complete lack of public
mention of the DSD and its role around the NBN with is CSOC anywhere here?
Why? All just incase Aussies (& ex pats) may become guilty until proven
innocent? Surely this would never happen where you could be assumed guilty,
then held for 2 weeks and not allowed to go home... pfft. Go figure.

Personally, I don't **NEED* an NBNv1, sure, I **LIKE** the idea of one,
heck, one day I may eventually **WANT** one, but I don't **NEED** one right
now. In the meantime, I don't NEED the most expensive shiny new red car,
I'll bet my existing one (or a 1/10th priced or even a v3 model) will get an
overhaul soon and be able to do almost everything the red one can, as
history as taught me that my 1200/75 modem upgrade in '88 did. I still use
the same copper 22 years later. Funny that huh?

At the end of the day, the nation voted, and today we're down to bribery and
parliamentary reform to find out what type of NBN we could be moving forward
with.

Oh, trivial Q for today, by how much would Tel$tra's ~48V power bill on the
existing CAN be reduced by with FTTP?
I'll get back in my box & stfu now. :)
</conspiracy-sarcasm-troll>

:Darren