[AusNOG] AAB Statement

Bevan Slattery Bevan.Slattery at staff.pipenetworks.com
Thu Sep 2 10:21:54 EST 2010

> It's interesting how we've got to provide a "mature, formulated
business plan", but when you're getting 1Gbps pr0n to your house, napkin
math with no forseeable ROI is enough.
> Bah, reporters.

It's actually a really good exercise in challenging perceptions with a
basic 'belief' structure and putting forward a few suggestions at a
sensitive time.  We wanted to put forward another viewpoint where we
believe that the biggest telco asset in this country is the 4G spectrum
- so let's not squander it.  We put forward a belief that we believe we
need a 'fibre future' and Fttx is necessary.  We just put some
qualifiers around that being it should be tested for value.

Somehow a simple set of beliefs and a different view, other than the one
being "rammed down our throats"  as Ovum said, seems to have personally
offended so many.  I don't particularly care who gets in/back.  But at
least we've presented a belief system and proposal which has received
substantial coverage and consideration from a lot of people.  We could
be wrong (and we state that all proposals should bear the strictest
scrutiny) and many don't agree.  Some criticize our timing, but in
reality the Government was never interested in an alternate viewpoint
(and may still not be), but at least they'll hear what we're saying now.
The same goes for the Coalition.

As for Computerworld?  Our statement clearly articulates our position.
If they were genuinely worried about business plans, then why haven't
they asked these sorts of questions to NBN Co for the last 15 months.
Pass me thinks.

We are intending on actually meeting in Sydney next week.  So anyone who
is interested should drop any of the signatories a note.

[b]