[AusNOG] Unadvertised large IPv4 allocations in the APNIC region

Daniel Mills daniel.mills at selectcorp.com.au
Fri Oct 22 00:49:31 EST 2010

Hey Dale,

Maybe its because it would take APNIC too much hard work to work out what
ranges can be possibly re-allocated. It is not very often that APNIC lift a
hand when we (I) need support for my resources, they just point me to some
automated database that fails. This would give them something to do and
maybe earn there money haha :)

Surely these government departments must be sick of paying such absorbinant
amounts, for the department im talking about, if they could potentially
half their yearly bill to APNIC, it would be a great incentive to remove
the single line "network 159.248.0.0 255.255.0.0" from their Cisco border
routers...

Maybe someone should prepare a database of such ranges that could be given
back, 2x /16's = 1x /8 which is a huge amount of IPv4 space.

The person behind the original IPv4 nat addressing scheme didnt know that
the Australian government and educational sectors would take it on board
and use it as a policy for their internal lans. But he should of known
better! :)

Daniel

--
Kind Regards,

Daniel Mills
DIRECTOR

Select Communications (Australia) Pty Ltd

PHONE: +61 8 6365 5618
FAX: +61 8 6365 5619
EMAIL: daniel.mills at selectcorp.com.au