[AusNOG] Unadvertised large IPv4 allocations in the APNIC region

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+ausnog at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 00:08:44 EST 2010

Hi Daniel,

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 11:28 PM, Daniel Mills
<daniel.mills at selectcorp.com.au> wrote:

> That is quite interesting. I know of a government organisation here in
> Perth who has 2x /16's and are only advertising 1x /24 out of one of the
> /16's and use the rest of that /16 for internal NAT ip addressing...

Uhuh :-)

> An extreme misuse im sure.

Lots of Government agencies and corporates -- even ones that aren't
very big -- that have had an Internet presence of some description
since the 90s are holding on to large amounts of IPv4 stock. I can
think of about 5-6 unadvertised /16s allocated to Government
organisations I've worked with directly in the last few years. There
has been no real incentive to return unused IPv4 address space, and
sometimes even with the best intentions, it can take years to renumber
internal networks.

Not that we would be saved even if they could figure out a way to give
them back, given the rate we're hoovering 'em up.

[ I don't recall who said it or who they were referring to but at the
IPv6 Summit this week, one of the speakers said that one of the people
behind the original IPv4 NAT concept openly apologised for creating a
monster (my words) at an IETF meeting :-) -- anyone got a ref.? ]

cheers,
Dale